Depression is a very common reason to practice qigong. Depression is not just feeling “down” it is a whole syndrome. There are several types of depression, here are a few:
- Major depressive Disorder
- Seasonal Depression
- Post partum Depression
All of them can be serious if left untreated, so be sure to consult with your doctor or primary health care provider for expert personalized advice.
Depression can affect you in several different ways.
- Constant sadness, almost every day
- Feeling of worthlessness, of excessive or inappropriate guilt
- Dark or suicidal thoughts
- Loss of interest or pleasure in favourite activities
- Low energy
- Psychomotor impairment – everything seems ‘slow motion’
- Aches and pains
- Insomnia or its opposite, hypersomnia
- Change in weight
- Change in appetite
- Impression of restlessness
- Difficulty making decisions
- Difficulty focusing
This simple exercise called Parting the Clouds can be very helpful for helping with depression, the symptoms of depression, and the root underlying cause, no matter which one it is. There is no negative side effects, and you can safely practice everyday. Ideally repeat this exercise for about 3-5 minutes, focusing on deep breaths, and try to feel the “flow” of the movement.
If you really want to help dismantle your depression and teach your brain to be in a positive and healthy state you can join the Communi Qi and practice the Heart Healing Routine. It is one of our most popular routines!
I also want to say that you are not alone if you suffer with depression. Talk to you doctor, family, friends, therapists, and healers. Everyone can help in little ways. Most of all, take simple small actions to move you in the right direction!